Tip for a Successful Video Interview
Over the matter of a few short weeks we’ve seen technology transform the way we’re recruiting. Here at Talent ID, “business as usual” has become connecting with candidates and clients using tools such as Zoom and Skype. These tools are fantastic at allowing us to continue our job and sourcing candidates for clients, but does the same etiquette apply for candidates when being video interviewed vs face-to-face? It is easy to forget when you’re sitting in the comfort of your own home that this is still a formal interview situation, so here are a few tips on how to ace a video interview from home!
• Firstly, find a quiet, private, well-lit place, free from possible interruptions. This can be tricky during the lockdown with kids at home and cats enjoying a stroll across your keyboard (it happens to the best of us!) but the less distractions, the smoother the interview will be.
• Check what is behind you – you don’t want anything visible that could appear unprofessional or a distraction throughout the interview!
• Ensure your internet connection is stable, that your computer audio and webcam is working – call a friend or family member prior to your interview to test it out and allow yourself time to fix any issues.
• Dress professionally – as much as we’re all enjoying some time at home in our t-shirts and trackpants, a video interview is not the place for this. Dress as you would if you were heading to a face-to-face interview.
• Have a pen and paper ready for any notes you may want to take, the middle of the interview is not the time to go searching for this or rummaging through your drawers!
• When listening, nod and smile to show you are engaged. Resist the urge to rest your head in your hands or start slouching –remember, you’re still on camera!
If you follow these tips, and things still don’t go to plan, don’t stress – it happens to the interviewers too! Interviews can still be conducted over the phone or at a later date if technology fails us, but as long as you’ve done your prep you will minimise any potential issues.
For further advice on video interviews, please get in touch with the team at Talent ID.